How to create a Factorio Dedicated Server?
Released in August 2020 by Wube Software, has quickly gained popularity since its success as an indie crowdfunding project. Do you like the sound of a sandbox construction simulator with vast open-world map exploration, strategy, and survival elements? If so, then Factorio is the game for you! With both single-player and multi-player modes available as options, a Factorio server is the perfect way to get the ultimate lag-free experience — whether you’re playing solo, with friends, or hosting the game for other groups as a reseller.
Factorio multiplayer dedicated server
As a Minecraft-inspired building simulator game with sandbox and survival elements, the player takes on the role of an engineer who crash-lands on an alien planet. Explore the map to gather a variety of planetary resources, build an automated factory-style infrastructure to mine, process, and transport resources, then defend your system against increasingly hostile alien life forms.
The end goal of the game is to build your very own rocket — by upgrading your infrastructure to building robots, strategy is key, and the world is your oyster. Challenge yourself as a single player or join your friends in co-op mode. Set the planetary fauna to ‘peaceful’, or add one of the many available Factorio mods to customise your experience. To get all this and more, with seamless map rendering and a private environment for your friends, order a Factorio dedicated server today. Your creativity is the only limit!
Factorio is available on macOS, Linux, Microsoft Windows, and Macintosh operating systems.
Why set up a Factorio server?
One of the Factorio’s highlights as a game is its infinite map, where players can let their creativity flow with elaborate, complex systems. But where is the fun in that if you experience lag, the map takes time to render, and you find yourself unable to connect to the same server your friends are on?
Of course, on-premises private server hosting is always an option — but this can prove to be much more time-consuming and costly than renting a hosting solution from a dedicated hosting provider. As a dedicated server host, you would need to find space for your server, ensure a constant power supply, set up a system for cooling the server components, and source replacement components if they encounter a hardware issue.
This is where the benefits of cloud based Factorio multiplayer server hosting come in. Our Game dedicated servers deliver optimal power for a wide range of use cases, and since we take care of server assembly and on-site maintenance, you can focus on what matters most — enjoying the ultimate gaming experience.
We also deliver the best hosting servers for companies seeking to become managed hosting providers. By renting your hosting service from hosting providers like OVHcloud, you get the optimal scalability required to deliver virtual private servers hosted worldwide. Offer managed VPS hosting packages and ensure that your virtual servers provide a low-latency connection to users across the globe.
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
6 c/12 t - 3.80GHz/4.40GHz
2 x 500GB Enterprise Class softRAID NVMe SSD
32GB DDR4 ECC 2,666MHz
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
8 c/16 t - 3.80GHz/4.70GHz
2 x 960GB Enterprise Class softRAID NVMe SSD
64GB DDR4 ECC 2,666MHz
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
8 c/16 t - 3.90GHz /4.50GHz
2 x 960GB Enterprise Class softRAID NVMe SSD
64GB DDR4 ECC 2,666MHz
What are the advantages of a Factorio dedicated server?
No matter what your user profile is, manage your Factorio multiplayer server setup to match your needs. Add your favourite mods, configure the settings to suit your preferred gameplay mode, and leverage the flexibility we offer to host a happy community of players.
OVHcloud Game dedicated servers are equipped with next-gen AMD Ryzen processors, based on Zen 3 architecture. They offer 26% more performance than previous versions, so you get optimal stability — and our energy-efficient water-cooling technology keeps your servers from overheating, no matter how intensive your resource usage is.
Our Game servers have a redundant power supply and offer up to 1Gbit/s bandwidth, so you can deliver the ultimate lag-free experience for both yourself and your community with constant uptime. They also come with a 99.90% SLA, so you can ensure nearly zero downtime, and since our network of datacentres is spread across the globe, you can minimise latency by ordering a server closest to your players. What’s more, our on-site datacentre teams are also on hand 24/7 to take care of the server hardware, maintenance, and incident resolution.
All our solutions come with anti-DDoS protection enabled by default — and no matter how high-volume a DDoS attack is, your services will remain protected round-the-clock at no extra cost. Our anti-DDoS protection is based on VAC technology, which filters incoming traffic — so only legitimate traffic can reach your server. Our infrastructure has mitigated DDoS attacks of up to 1.3Tbit/s in size, so you can rest assured that your Factorio gameplay will remain unaffected.
Adaptable to every user profile
Unlike shared hosting solutions, OVHcloud Game servers are designed to meet gaming industry requirements — so no matter how you plan to use your Factorio dedicated server for hosting, you’ll find the right model for your needs. Server management is also simplified when you opt for hosting companies like OVHcloud, since we offer a centralized control-panel interface: the OVHcloud Control Panel. Get the very most out of your customizable new server with unbeatable performance, and a UI optimized for user-friendliness.
- Resellers: Configure your game servers using our dedicated solutions. Looking to create Factorio VPS solutions to resell to your own customers? Our dedicated servers provide the perfect hardware platform for this use case. You are the root user, so you can use virtualization technology on your game server, then start provisioning resources for your virtual private servers.
- Players and developers: Focus on playing or designing your game, while we take care of hosting it. Get root access and explore our extensive range of configuration and hardware options. Protect both yourself and your players from DDoS attacks and ensure zero downtime. With dedicated server hosting services provided by a web-hosting company like OVHcloud, you can get your scalable cloud server up-and-running in no time.
- Streamers and communities: Share the ultimate gaming experience with a Factorio multiplayer server and configure streaming apps like Twitch to deliver Factorio entertainment to your fans. You can also install Mumble or TeamSpeak to keep your community in touch with one another.
How to set up a Factorio dedicated server
Below are the minimum requirements for any Factorio VM on your dedicated server:
- 4GB RAM
- Dual vCore 3GHz+ minimum
- 3GB disk space
- A 64-bit operating system
It is important to note the following, too:
- You will need to purchase a licence to download and install Factorio.
- All game instances need the same game-versions and mods installed.
- Factorio servers use port 34197, but the port can be changed in the config file.
- Factorio uses UDP only, so ensure that there is no firewall or anti-virus blocking UDP packets.
Need help with the initial setup for your dedicated server? Browse our range of guides to help you get started.
Below are the instructions for setting up Factorio on a Windows 2019 Server Edition dedicated server, as an example:
- Download Factorio from the .
- Run the installation file and proceed with the setup. By default, the game is installed at C:\Program Files\Factorio.
- Create a save file using the –create command-line argument: ./bin/x64/factorio --create ./saves/my-save.zip
- Next, start the server: ./bin/x64/factorio --start-server ./saves/my-save.zip
You can view all our Windows Server-compatible bare metal servers. Once the server has been started, there are two ways of joining:
For this method, players will need to know the server’s public IP address, so ensure that you share this with fellow players. Once the player has the IP and port, they can go to Play > Multiplayer > Connect to the server and enter the relevant details. If the server accepts public connections, players should be able to join.
Via server list
For public servers, Factorio developers keep a list of those that are declared — so players can join directly through the game itself. Most of these servers will be password-protected, so ensure that the intended players have the password for it. They can then go to Play > Multiplayer > Browse public games, use their factorio.com login if requested, and a list of public servers will appear. They can then select the server.