Design a website using Drupal in 3 steps
To build your Drupal website quickly and easily, we recommend following this 3-step guide.
1. Order your web hosting plan
Before you can start creating your website with Drupal, you need to have a domain name and a suitable web hosting plan. The solutions we offer are suitable for any project, in terms of performance, storage capacity and security. Since Drupal is mainly aimed at web professionals who develop complex websites, we recommend that you order a web hosting solution from our Professional or Performance hosting plans, depending on the scale of your needs.
2. Install Drupal
We're simplifying the steps for launching your business website. Installing the Drupal CMS on our web hosting plans is free. During the order process, simply select Drupal when you choose your CMS. If you already have a hosting plan with us, it’s even easier! Log in to your OVHcloud Control Panel, then go to the ‘Hosting’ section. You can then use the 1-click modules to install Drupal directly on your website. Please note that a database is also automatically created, to store all your web content.
3. Configure your Drupal website
When you install Drupal on your Web Hosting plan, you will receive all the information you need to log in to your website’s control panel. Give your new project a title, and then start configuring its main features, such as your administrator account information and the main website layout. Once you are done creating your website, you will then have the chance to work on the appearance of your pages at your leisure. Drupal offers a large number of customisable and responsive elements (adapted for computers, smartphones and tablets). If Drupal does not match your needs, you can view our CMS comparison page to find your ideal website solution.
Included with all our Professional web hosting plans
To start creating a website project with Drupal, we recommend that you sign up to the Professional Web Hosting plan initially. This solution includes many advantages.
- PHP 8 + FPM: your pages are displayed up to 7 times faster thanks to FPM (FastCGI Process Manager). And you always have the latest PHP versions available.
- Let’s Encrypt SSL certificate: for added security, you get an SSL certificate that encrypts any data exchanged. You can enable this from your Control Panel.
- Anti-DDoS Protection: with its exclusive anti-DDoS solution, OVHcloud ensures that your hosting system is always available, even during an attack.
- SQL databases: we provide you with databases when you select your hosting plan. To launch your website with Drupal, you will need to create a database.
- Multi-site management: The multi-site option allows you to host several websites on the same web hosting plan.
The advantages of Drupal
- API: more than 4,000 functions are available through APIs. Drupal offers a PHP framework that is suitable for experts.
- Content management: Manage your content easily using its advanced taxonomy and an interface directly connected to the front office.
- Community: an active community offers thousands of modules written in PHP. You can integrate them easily into your website via the library in the back office.
- SEO: optimise your webpages and posts to organically improve your search engine ranking, with modules like Robots.txt, Redirect, Schema.org or Yoast SEO.
Why choose Drupal?
Drupal has established itself as a CMS (Content Management System) that enables complex websites to be built with a high degree of customisation. Its front-end interface sets it apart, as well as its content management referred to as "nodes". Drupal is aimed at experienced developers or web experts, who want to embark on more sophisticated technical projects than those achievable with Joomla! or WordPress. Want to create an e-commerce website with a high traffic density, or a showcase website with a comprehensive and fully customisable configuration? Drupal is your best bet.
Based on PHP language, Drupal offers a full library of modules that interact with each other, making the system flexible. Drupal’s various modules provide new functionalities for creating a professional website, such as content filtering and permission to attach files. It is an ideal tool for beginners and web development experts alike.
Discover the best hosting plan for your CMS
Each CMS is pre-installed on each of our web hosting solutions. We recommend the solutions that best fit your project’s needs.
Choosing the best open-source CMS
Want to create a website via an easy-to-use interface, and no knowledge of programming required? This is what is offered by CMS tools like WordPress and PrestaShop. Compare the most popular open-source solutions, and you can choose which one best suits your needs.
How do I install Drupal?
In the order process for a web hosting plan, you can choose to install a CMS. Once you have ordered your web hosting plan, log in to the OVHcloud Control Panel, then go to the ‘Hosting’ section. Next, select Drupal from the list of 1-click CMS modules.
How do I install Drupal locally?
Local installation can be a technical and complex operation to perform. By using our 1-click module, you can avoid this complexity by administering the CMS directly from your web hosting plan. However, if you want to install locally, you will first need to download WampServer software to extract your Drupal files. It will enable you to move your data from the server to your own computer.
How do I use Drupal?
Drupal is recommended for web experts who are creating complex websites, require a high degree of customisation, and expect to receive a high volume of traffic. Get started with Drupal by setting the access and administration parameters, before you begin designing your professional website.
* Domain name creation and transfer is free for the first year, then renewals are charged at the annual price of the extension from the following list: .com, .net, .biz, .info, .org, .name, .fr, .re, .eu, .be, .es, .it, .de, .at, .co.uk, .me.uk, .org.uk, .nl, .us, .ca, .cz, .ch, .in, .lt, .dk, .pm, .so, .se, .yt, .tf , .wf, .pt, .pl, .ovh, .xyz. Not valid for extensions that include free transfer.