PaaS definition: How does it work?
The purpose of this solution is to provide your DevOps teams with access to a programming or development platform. You can connect to it via an API, a control panel, or an interface connected to the internet.
This is a service commonly offered by cloud providers, who host the physical infrastructure on which the platform runs. The provider is also responsible for the solution’s maintenance, updates and security. You can use your development platform by simply paying a subscription.
This type of service usually works using a public cloud system, which means that all of the IT resources and cloud applications available to customers are made accessible via the network. Users select the software, application or cloud platform they need, and pay for the licence(s). It is up to the cloud provider to manage the physical machines that provide access to its tools. The customer does not need to manage the infrastructure. With this on-demand cloud computing system, companies can harness the benefits of various solutions without having to invest in infrastructure and maintenance.
What can I do with a Platform as-a-Service solution?
Several development projects can be run on a PaaS solution:
- API creation and management. The platform is used to develop, run, manage and secure application programming interfaces, as well as their related micro-services.
- Managing or analysing business data. Companies can develop tools for analysing sales data, as well as behavioural models for better decision-making.
- Business process management (BPM). There are platforms you can use to generate monitoring tools for all of your production and logistics chains.
- Connected device management. A PaaS tool is perfect if you want to have an environment adapted to device programming and deployment. This solution is also commonly used for the Internet of Things (IoT).
Why choose Platform as-a-Service?
There are several advantages to using outsourcing to get a platform as-a-service.
- You can host your web applications in optimised environments, without having to manage maintenance. This saves you time by delivering your applications quicker, giving you a significant competitive advantage.
- This solution is more affordable than an on-premises infrastructure. Furthermore, the billing method remains simple and predictable: you only pay for your hourly or monthly usage of the platform. This way, you can keep total control of your budget.
- PaaS also gives you more flexibility in terms of your programming options. For example, you can try out new coding languages or application development technologies — and you do not have to worry about maintenance tasks, or even purchasing additional hardware if you need it.
- Using a cloud services provider also gives you access to other technologies or solutions for growing your business. For example, you can use a managed service for your databases, public or private cloud solutions to complement your solution and more.
How it differs from IaaS and SaaS
These are cloud computing services (IaaS PaaS SaaS), each with their own specific features.
Infrastructure as-a-Service (IaaS): Compared to PaaS, which can be associated with the public cloud, IaaS is part of a private or hybrid cloud model. This solution gives you access to one or more complete virtual infrastructures. This way, you can control their structure, organisation, and hosted IT services (applications, platforms, websites, IT systems, etc.). Your service provider may also give you access to virtualisation software (e.g. VMware). With the hypervisor, you can build and organise your virtual machines (VMs) according to your needs. This way, you can create your virtual datacentre. This type of cloud solution offers you more flexibility for complex projects, such as data storage and resource administration (CPU, RAM, disk space, bandwidth, etc.).
Software as-a-Service (SaaS): This is the most common type of cloud service. The provider hosts your software or application. The benefit is almost identical to PaaS and IaaS solutions — you don’t have to manage or maintain the physical hardware that hosts the application, which saves you time and money. It involves direct resource usage, and does not require much logistical investment. This solution represents a solid increase in agility for your employees, as you can quickly and simply receive tools that are adapted to your teams’ day-to-day work.
Move to PaaS with OVHcloud
Our PaaS solutions have been designed for your developer teams.
- Web PaaS powered by Platform.sh. A managed full stack platform that allows you to deploy your code quickly and easily in any language.
- Managed database services. MongoDB, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Redis and Kafka. You do not need to manage the virtual cloud infrastructure for your data. It is hosted in a secure environment.
- Managed solutions for your Kubernetes services. You can manage and organise your containerised applications with a CNCF (Cloud Native Computing Foundation) certified cluster.
- Platforms for developing artificial intelligence (AI) within your company. Develop your machine learning algorithms, and get optimised platforms for big data analytics.
There are also other solutions you can use to give you the flexibility and scalability you need for your cloud projects. We host them in our datacentres across the globe. This way, you get the full benefits of cloud computing for your business — anytime, anywhere.